September 11, 2012

PreK

     This morning is Grey's first day at a regular preschool.  We haven't prepped or even told his teacher about his hearing loss, we haven't even met her.  It is only a two and a half hour, two day a week program, the idea being, let's see how he does in a less than perfect school situation in prep for kinder next year, which will be far from ideal. Ideal being what he had last year, which was 3 kids in his class, all of whom wore hearing aids, a school that was set up with things like acoustics in mind, and a teacher who was a certified  auditory-verbal educator.  When I asked Grey what he was going to do at school today if his hearing aid stopped working, he replied, "I'll give it to my teacher and she can check the battery and listen to it with her cool listening thingy." Sadly, not gonna happen.  Our plan of attack is going to be 1) Make sure the batteries aren't going to die in the 2.5h span he is there 2) Educate the teacher on not getting the aids wet and sitting Grey close to her so he might have a snowball's chance in hell of figuring out what is going on.  Sigh.  I feel sick to my stomach, having just dropped him off.  He was nervous at the house this morning, saying that he was gonna throw up and that his eyes were all watery, but when we got to the classroom, he was interested in all the toys, went right in and started playing.  The teacher asked him how to spell his name, he told her, and that was about it. I think it is the stark difference between the emphasis on being HOH last year to the nothing of this year that has me spooked.  I am wondering things like, will my sweet tempered, well behaved boy become a behavior problem because he is giving up trying to understand what people are saying? Will other kids pull his aids out and then no one will be able to get them back in? Will the teacher shy away from him because he is more work to deal with than the other kids?  I see that in nursing, sadly, all the time.  The patients who are sicker with more involved care, or who are in isolation, get less care than the healthier ones because it is extra work for the nurse to get in there with all the isolation gear on and do all the extra stuff involved.  It's sad, but true sometimes.  Will it be my smart boy who begins to fall behind because it is more work to teach him than the other kids?  I think I am going to have an ulcer by the end of the day, and it is only day one of preK. How will I survive 13 more years of educational wories?
     Anyway, all worries aside (if that is possible) it was kind of a funny morning.  Cali remembered she was supposed to bring in a leaf collection for science while I was trying to wrangle her hair into two high ponytails, which I couldn't get high enough for her taste so she was mad. So I sent her outside while trying to get Grey moving.  Unfortunately, he wouldn't stay in bed last night (he needed two drinks of water, to pee three drops, to check on Cali, and get a glow stick before he could fall asleep) and so was tired and lying on the sofa in his Lego star wars underwear with his blanket over his head to block out the sunlight.  He refused to get up or eat breakfast.  Meanwhile, Cali comes back in sans leaves, saying it is too cold to go outside (it is 75 degrees, what a Texan!) and she must have a jacket. Grey starts yelling to close the door because she is letting in the cold air and he can't sleep in the cold. I point out (loudly, since he wouldn't put his hearing aids on) that he should not be sleeping anyway, he should get up and get dressed for school. Cali won't wear the jacket I find and insists on her cool new jean jacket that we can't find.  Then we had to battle over Grey's outfit since he refuses to wear anything besides elastic waistband sport shorts and batman t-shirts.  I wanted him to look somewhat nice on his first day, to make a good impression, to show we weren't a family of rednecks, who had a kid with a birth defect due to too much hard liquor while pregnant.  (Do other mom's have thoughts like this, or am I the only twisted one?) When  he was finally dressed, washed, and ready, he looked at us and asked, "Why don't you guys have to look good?" Geez.
    Here he is with a real smile at home, and at school feeling slightly less sure of himself with a fake, nervous smile.  I can't wait to go pick him up!



   

9 comments:

Sarah said...

He will do great! He has you guys. I have to tell myself that it isn't just the school/teacher, its about how involved we are too.

fibromyalgia treatment said...

I wish you good luck! Take care.

networkace said...

nice blog

contract management software said...

This is really a very awesome blog. keep it up.

Priyath Asintha Wijerathne said...

hi cute son..
i love you...
im from srilanka....

http://upcominglatestfilms.blogspot.com

aSimpleDimple said...

Howdy, My name's Sheree... I just stumbled across your blog and saw that your little boy has a hearing loss and wondered if you use sign language with him at all? I used to interpret in Texas, near Fort Hood, and am now in the process of creating children's books with sign language images above the words of the story. I would love to chat with you and get your thoughts as a mom of a hearing impaired child. IF that's ok, you can e-mail me at aSimpleDimple.gmail.com! I also blog!! aSimpleDimple.blogspot.com

Have a blessed day!
~Sheree

Jayachandran Elango said...

i like this post

top 10 travels in coimbatore

emily rose said...

Great Post ! I really appreciate your effort of writting... Thanks for sharing such a superb Post .... Keep Sharing such a great info ... !!! Web development services Dubai

Web hosting services Dubai

SEO services Dubai

Ecommerce website design Dubai

Travel booking website Dubai

Hotel management software Dubai

Website design services Dubai

Anonymous said...

FIFA 15 Coins,just take a look here FIFA 15 Coins,you will take fancy with this site all along. Welcome to buy FIFA Coins in our store through following: http://www.fifa15buy.co.uk/